|Temple Zion with Chairs, 320 North Durkee Street, Appleton, Wisconsin, Fall 2012|
© J. Shimon & J. Lindeman
Completed in 1884, the former Temple Zion is now home to Wahl Organbuilders. Houdini's father, Mayer Samuel Weiss, was brought to Appleton as the city's first rabbi and the Temple Zion was to be his synagogue. He was dismissed before it was opened because he preached in German in a time that English was becoming prevalent. The German craftsman style building served as a synagogue until 1932.