|Found: Blast Furnaces, Mayville, Wisconsin. |
Postmarked Mayville, Wis. August 21, 1908
Iron mining and the old Iron Ridge were integral to early Mayville and vicinity development from 1845 to 1928. Blast furnaces, operated by the Mayville Iron Company, and the pig iron they made earned the area the title of the Pittsburgh of the West. As time marched on, iron came from Minnesota and upper Michigan rather than the immediate area. The blast furnaces declined as a result of a transition from iron to steel and were demolished during the depression as part of a government works project. Today an important abandoned iron mine in nearby Neda serves as habitat to an estimated 200,000 bats.