|Found: War Memorial Center. Overlooking Lake Michigan Near Downtown Milwaukee.|
750 N. Lincoln Memorial Drive. Housing the Milwaukee Art Center.
Architect - Eero Saarinen.
The L.L. Cook Co. from an Ektachrome Transparency copyright 1958
The important art in Milwaukee was once housed in the basement of the county owned 1958 War Memorial Center--located on a street named after Abraham Lincoln. The futuristic Eero Saarinen building has been expanded to accommodate the growing collection of art and programs based on the designs of two additional architects: Kahler completed a brutalist concrete gallery expansion to the east in 1975 and Santiago Calatrava completed a white and glass winged wing to the south in 2001). A third expansion is again being contemplated for this crazy quilt of a building at 700 Art Museum Drive.